Sunday, May 23, 2010

Go the distance

Overwhelming does not even begin to describe this past week. Overwhelming in two ways - terrific and terrible. My new job as a Grounds Office intern is terrific. I love the people, the work, and everything about it. My friends are also terrific. What would I do without them? Going to the opera with my mom = terrific. Eating almost all sweets on friday, a little terrible but mostly terrific. The gospel is also terrific. But making decisions, not so terrific. A dive into self-consciousness, not so terrific. A breakdown in my voice lesson, terrible. Feeling a bit lost, terrible. Wanting to quit, terrible.

I am very lucky because I have great friends that lift me out of the terrible and into the terrific. Another thing that seem to take the crap out of my heart and fill it with hope are words - especially in the lyric or script form (aka music, movies, and books). Some lyrics popped into my head today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6v_gOmVJ4I
(For an even better recording, google "Vocal Spectrum, Go the Distance" = priceless)
I have often dreamed
Of a far off place

Where a hero's welcome
Would be waiting for me

Where the crowds will cheer
When they see my face

And a voice keeps saying

This is where I'm meant to be

I'll be there someday

I can go the distance

I will find my way

If I can be strong

I know ev'ry mile
Will be worth my while
When I go the distance

I'll be right where I belong

Down an unknown road

To embrace my fate

Though the road may wander
It will lead me to you

And a thousand years

Would be worth the wait

It may take a lifetime
But somehow I'll see it through

And I won't look back

I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track

No I won't accept defeat

It's an uphill slope

But I won't lose hope
Till I go the distance

And my journey is complete
But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part

For a hero's strength is measured by his heart

Like a shooting star

I can go the distance
I will search the world
I will face its harms
I don't care how far

I can go the distance
TillI find my hero's welcome

Waiting in your arms...

I will search the world

I will face its harms
TillI find my hero's welcome
Waiting in your arms..

I'm not usually a fan of using a whole song, but it seemed perfectly fitting. Life is hard. But I know where I am right now is where I'm supposed to be. I just have to have faith that every mile will be worth my while. I can only look forward, choose the right, and never give up. Like a shooting star I can soar above the world and do great things. I can do hard things. I can go the distance.

And that's what Jenny thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment