Sunday, August 29, 2010

Georgia

Never before has an art exhibit so fully engulfed my spirit as it did on August 15th, 2010. My visit to the Georgia O'Keefe Abstraction Exhibit was magical. I'm not exactly sure why, but I connected to this exhibit more than any other art I've seen. In my struggles to write down every word and picture that tickled my heart, the most angelic security guard walked up to me, tapped me on the shoulder, and handed me a packet full of the quotes included in the exhibit. I almost cried right then and there.

As I breathed in every abstract painting and gobbled up every sage quote, I felt connected to Georgia O'Keeffe. Her images and words sunk deep into my soul. I felt like I knew her. I felt like I was watching her create these masterpieces. I felt as if she was holding my hand and describing what each painting meant.

I felt as if we were old friends. She sums up very nicely how I felt:

"If I could put down accurately the thing that I saw and enjoyed, it would not give the observer the kind of feeling it gave me. I had to create an equivalent for what I felt aobut what I was looking at - not copy it."

All I'm saying is that I could feel it. And I hope everyone can experience something like this at some point in their life.

And that's what Jenny thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment