Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I am a Woman

I grew up with three older brothers. Therefore, being a girl didn't seem so cool to me. When I was younger, I consciously avoided mentioning anything to do with girls especially when my brothers were around. When on the playground, I always wanted to be one of the boys. As I was growing up, I don't think I felt a strong sense of girlness. I still tried to hide any evidence of girly habits. I was proud of the fact that I spent only 5 minutes getting ready each morning (in fact, I liked to mock those girls who spent more than 5 minutes). Once I hit my teens, I realized how far behind I was, but didn't really want to admit that I cared. I don't think I was very proud of becoming a woman. To me, becoming a woman meant caring a lot about how I presented my self, aka wearing jewelry, high heels, make-up, behaving gracefully, and not laughing at obnoxious boy-scout jokes. Why in the world would I want to grow up to be a woman if it meant doing those things?

To this day, I avoid high heels at all costs, I prefer not to wear jewelry (especially the sparkly kind), and I still find hilarity in the occasional boy-scout-like humor. The difference between then and now, is that I understand what womanhood is truly about. It isn't about heels, jewelry, and make up. Womanhood is about giving into our natural abilities and instincts to comfort, uplift, listen, and love.

After the BYU Women's Chorus concert this weekend, a friend told a girl in the choir,
"You women are so powerful."
And that was all he said. He couldn't have said anything truer. In our rehearsal after our concert, we spent the whole time exchanging experiences that our families and friends shared with us. And they also proved that we, women, not only touched audience-members with our musical prowess, but also with our calming spirits. It is so amazing to be a part of Women's Chorus - 180 women, united by a love for music and a love for each other. I am so proud to be to be a woman. I am a woman with an innate ability to love, care, believe, encourage, and uplift. I am a woman with divine powers. I am a woman.

And that's what Jenny thinks.

1 comment:

  1. holy cow. you go girl!! you amaze me jenny. love you

    ReplyDelete