Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sing

As inhabitants of the world, we often add needless complexities to our Christmas celebrations. Someone has even written a book on how to simplify Christmas. Sad, I know (but seriously, my mom is reading it). I was lucky enough to watch my first Christmas movie of the season at 12:00 AM on December 1st. Yes. I am a devout Christmas celebrator. I watched one of my all time favorites – Elf. Aka Will Ferrell at his very best. I learned that there is no better way to simplify our Holiday seasons than by following Buddy the Elf's example. He enveloped himself in the simple joys of life, and shared his appreciation for life with everyone he met. It was through the simple things – snuggling, syrup, singing, running through a revolving door – that Buddy found his boundless happiness. I think Buddy the Elf had it exactly right –

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.”

Now, some may believe that the only way to truly obey Buddy’s counsel is to burst out into song wherever you go. Although that is preferable and extremely entertaining, it is unnecessary. We have so many other ways we can “sing” this Christmas season – a chat with a long-lost-friend, a thank you note, smiling at a stranger, helping someone with a meal, cleaning someone’s dishes, etc. Not only did Buddy's voice ring loud and clear, but also his smile, service, and most important his LOVE. It is my belief that everyone can grasp that same happiness this season. I know that if I keep Buddy’s spirit close to my heart, I can and will make a difference this Christmas season.

And that’s what Jenny thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment