Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Rose by Any Other Name

Three hours of pure emotion = BYU's fantastic production of Romeo and Juliet. The movement, the characters, the set - it was all so dramatically wonderful. I think I inhaled beauty.

After a discouraging week, I headed to the theatre by myself. The intense emotions refreshed my spirit and filled me with energy. Concerts, plays, musicals, anything where human expression is key - they all bring me great pleasure.

In my culture, the LDS culture that is, we emphasize the importance of moderation in all things. While this may be good when it comes to things like icecream, video games, or spending money, what would we do without those artists who are not afraid to express themselves way beyond moderation. Too often, I find myself holding back, fearing what other people think of me. But the reality is, how does one survive in moderation. If we refuse to be passionate, what is left in this world. Without passion, what are we? Humans monitor themselves and watch their steps. It keeps us so busy, that we forget the essence of who we are. We forget that there are real, passionate beings underneath our shell of self-consciousness.

That's what I loved about Romeo and Juliet. They didn't waste time watching their steps. They took risks. They felt so deeply and passionately expressed those feelings. And as a result, they gave life to the human beings in the audience. I am grateful for those artists who take risks and express. They make me feel real. I hope to be one some day.

And that's what Jenny thinks.

3 comments:

  1. I love this so much. This makes me feel so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad. I was trying to do it justice, but nothing could truly live up to your show.

    ReplyDelete